Research Electronic Data Capture (REDCap) is a rapidly evolving web tool developed by researchers for researchers in the translational domain.
REDCap features a high degree of customizability for your forms and advanced user right control. It also features free, unlimited survey functionality, a sophisticated export module with support for all the popular statistical programs, and supports HIPAA compliance.
How Researchers Use REDCap
Researchers use REDCap for a variety of different purposes, including:
- Administering simple recruitment surveys
- Collecting data for low-budget clinical trials
- Supporting operational activities such as class registration or evaluation
- Tracking adverse events
- Creating longitudinal studies with automatic follow-up surveys
- Administrating multi-site studies
- Eliminating double data entry
Keeping Your Data Secure
When you use REDCap, all your data is kept secure and private. REDCap can remove identifiers from a dataset prior to exporting for analysis to create either a limited data set or a safe harbor data set. A safe harbor data set is the removal of the 18 pieces of information considered identifiers for the purposes of HIPAA compliance.
- HIPAA Compliant
- Data stored on a secure server
- Database access requires user authentication with password
- Data access based on an individual’s role on a project
- Logging and audit trails on all data interactions
- IRB and UR Privacy Office approved for collection and storage of PHI including surveys
REDCap Consortium Site
You can also learn more about REDCap by visiting the global REDCap Consortium site maintained by Vanderbilt University.